26.11.08

That's the Wonder of Aunty

Just switched off the lunchtime news.

So... if I lob up to the counter in Woolies and flash my TV licence (don't go there), does this mean I'll get a stakeholder discount?

I am sure there are many uniquely Lord knows what ways this can all be explained away, but it is still the BBC brand I heard used, and that, mostly, is still co-funded by me.

So... since when did 'we' get into buying highstreet shops? I know the precedent has already been set, but... huh? I guess just as we get Lonely Planet promoted at every turn... on a non-commercial channel... we will soon have that facile dog and sheep duo presenting Newsnight. Mind you, they could really do no worse.

I know the banks are being a bit tardy in stumping up seed money to shore up various failing enterprises, but is this really within Aunty's remit?

Addendum

Meanwhile, in other BBC news...

High Street icon Woolworths with 815 stores across the UK, goes into administration, the BBC learns.

Troubled furniture chain MFI files a notice of intention to appoint administrators.

No comments: