6.11.08

Meanwhile, in a Galaxy far, far away


I'm sure it's down to the digital switch over in Peebles, but I haven't heard much on this:

Gordon Brown braces himself for defeat in Glenrothes by-election

If he wins, or doesn't lose as badly as anticipated, I am sure normal service will be resumed as normal and Polly T will be 'invited' on to tell us what the BBC needs a front to tell us we should think.

BBC - Voters go to polls in Glenrothes

Indy - By-election triumph boosts Brown

Was there an election in the UK?

Can't say I noticed on the BBC... until this result was announced. Seems the 'right' result from the 'right' candidate was of more interest... elsewhere.

Now it's wall to wall. Odd, that. 'Down to the PM's recent increase in popularity', apparently.

The vote, and the will of the people who did vote, must be respected.

I wish I could say the same for the media machines that now operate in 'informing' them with what gets boosted, what doesn't, and when.

Newsnight -

OK, the 'right' party won in Glenrothes (can we mention that now it's over?).

I guess wall to wall discussion. Polly T and Kevin Maguire on speed dial!

That'll put a smile on Gordon's face:) And we do all love that smile.

A bit late mind. What doesn't get talked about can matter as much during an election as what does.

And who controls the drip.

Telegraph - Barack Obama, the Tiger Woods President

Telegraph - Glenrothes: A black swan moment

Telegraph - Labour wins Glenrothes - majority 6737

I fear all I am seeing is a trend towards tribalism.

In this very paper the term 'support of his fellow Fifers...proud that one of their own can become...'

Sound familiar?

The vote, and the will of the people who did vote, must be respected.

I wish I could say the same for the media machines that now operate in 'informing' them with what gets boosted, what doesn't, and when.

I just hope some in the media comms business would regain some pride in their work, and stop leaving it to those who, evidently, have a lot of time, money and resources to 'get on with their jobs' on behalf of their masters.

Gaurdian - Glenrothes byelection gifts Brown another bounce

Beyond the rather depressing tribalism on display, I also am saddened by the continued erosion of every aspect of democratic process I used to hold dear.

At no stage does this seem to have anything to do with the actual MPs and their abilities. They are reduced to mere human puppet representations of their party machines or, more worrying still, their 'leader'.

So, it would seem, we continue to follow America's lead.

At least we can't match their ad spend which, as I understand it, was $11 per vote for Senator Obama and $2 for Senator McCain.

As an ad-man I am gratified to see such faith in advertising bearing fruit, though I might crank an eyebrow at the ROI.

Now, policies. Where were we...?

Newsnight

Gaurdain - Sarah Brown: the real reason Labour won in Glenrothes?

I'll go a massive yes, if only to see how they try and get the person not a prop-ette to personally visit every person in the country.

Which they might.

Beats 'getting on with the job', as that doesn't seem to be doing 'it' so well.

Telegraph - Labour will lose power but can the Tories win it?

No comments: