15.11.08

Democracy. Inaction

Baby P was a victim of the quango state

My belief in the principle of democracy is total. My faith in its practical application is, however, taking a knocking.

It now seems credible that by abusing everything from legislation to rigging hiring policies it is possible for the establishment - in the form of every entity from the EU to our government to our national broadcaster - can pretty much either force, make beholden or simply selectively inform enough of a voting bloc to ensure a result is 'democratically ensured' in the way those in power see fit.

That this policy imposes an intolerable burden on the ever-shrinking minority (majority?) paying for consequences that cannot be sustained forever, seems to have passed by the currently paid, perked, pensioned, protected and punditing classes who generate zero income for the country, and whose sole mission seems to be to add more idiocies they don't have to fund, if only to justify their existence or egos.

There will, inevitably, be a 'correction' one day, and I doubt very much if it will be very democratic, or pretty.

Browbeaten MPs fail to do their basic job

'...is seen as a narrow, self-serving elite that bears no relation to the population as a whole'

Yah think? You are of course right to still insert the qualifier 'is seen as', but in sharing this belief it's hard not to wonder if in fact the words 'have become' might not be more accurate.

I honestly cannot recall if it was better/different before, but one huge issue, to me at least, is that I view my proxy representative, my MP (assuming he/she as elected, and if not then of no value at whatever) as no more than an entity who responds solely to party dogma and interests, rather than an individual who I can rely upon to bear responsibility for my vote. Locally or nationally.

On top of buying votes via legislative freebies to those who do not bear the brunt of funding them, public-service hiring policies and a highly agenda-sensitive national propaganda MSM system, I fear the 'always flawed, but best there is' system that is democracy is under serious assault.

And I lay the blame firmly at the door of a minority politico-media 'elite' who seem to think they know 'better' and what is good for 'us'.

No comments: