19.11.08

Funny old thing, democracy

Abuse all sorts of things in all sorts of ways on the BBC; slap wrist; do collect your £200/m.

Preside over an 8 year long child care system that has yet to learn a lesson; no problem.

Belong to a political party that, last time I looked, was/is allowed to operate in this country...

Employers warn staff on BNP list face dismissal

So long as 'values' are shared, or even just claimed to be, who cares what else actually happens?

I actually belong to (might have to review a curious nature in this brave new world) a few organisations (not the BNP*, it is almost mandatory to add. Me, I'd like to be made aware of what their representatives have to say, or know what they have done/are doing, and vote accordingly on the merits or otherwise of these words or actions) I happen to disagree with, as I get information from them that helps me maintain a balanced level of awareness not always possible from bathing in the warm glow of fellow group-thinkers.

You know what might be funny? Include in a future list such as this a few who might be mortified that they were on there... and then have it nicked and broadcast for the waiting mob to really worry about accuracy before 'responding'.

And imagine the powers that be trying to unravel whether being on a list means you actually wanted to be on the list, much less sharing the views of fellow listees to the same extent... if at all.

But I am sure if 'proper procedure is followed' then while a few innocents might suffer the overall stats will be good. Now, where have I heard that before recently?

Gotta love the Guardian, CiF and that Animal Farmian mindset that can often be selectively applied by some. Who says we can't still do great irony in this country?

Gaurdian - The BNP has rights too

Telegraph - Does the BNP shop at M&S? - As the topic is 'guilt by association'

Telegraph - The BNP is a problem for Labour, not the Tories

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, 'I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that could have me down as a member.. and then lose it'. This of course includes other data careless organisations I have even less choice over currently.

Newsnight -

Newsnight -

'Are you, or have you ever been...?'

I hate the "Popular Tory Front" more than the "Front of Popular Toryism".

As I have found myself in agreement with most of the rest (might have stumbled over 'execute' even if in jest) of what you have written (and, need it be said, your right to say it), but I even though just making a point I would wish you had not used this particular word here in such context.

While it has been devalued in many ways, and now includes Broccoli, I have tried to persuade my kids that 'hate' is something to be reserved for, and applied to only truly exceptional circumstances, if at all.

A difficult job when the visceral manifestations of this extreme sentiment is on display daily, and at/from the the highest levels, and easily picked up on and amplified by various tribal groups in need of targets to unite them.

I was once, I think, member of some Local entity with the word 'Conservative' in it (Hence enough enough for me to be described 'You Tory voter' in some minds, no matter how misguided). Why did I join? Well, they held monthly business breakfasts and hence seemed a nifty way to network (not so much as it turns out, so I have long forgone the £15 full-English and 6am wake-up).

Will I have cause to rue this 'lapse' with the new world order we are heading towards? Hard to imagine a while ago, but not as I listen to Breakfast News intone its near daily raft of 'new measures announced by the government', most barely or simply ill-thought out, and almost every-one pure 'catch-all' but 'do-nothing to the quality of justice but make it easy to fine all others' in nature.

Indy - Union: 'Ban teachers who are BNP supporters' - First they came for...

No comments: