25.10.08

Joined by a common, now very common, media

A neat essay from over the pond:

Editing Their Way to Oblivion: Journalism Sacrificed For Power and Pensions

Many years ago I was on a gap year from my native UK in the USA. A part of my stay was in a very small town in Texas, with a local paper whose masthead bore a line that made an impression that has lasted to the present day: 'Hew close to the line, and let the chips fall where they may'.

Simple, but still a pretty decent credo to follow as a journalist.

With a few exceptions, I had thought the spirit embodied in that still existed in the USA whilst publisher patronage and personal or corporate agenda has tainted almost anything here that goes under the well-abused term 'objective news'. Including, or should I say especially from the BBC, my national broadcaster and an entity I am forced to pay for.

It is sad to see that the desire of some to shape issues to suit personal beliefs and/or boost careers through ratings has dragged you guys down too.

Indy - In an age of instant news bites, one man thinks it's time to go back to contemplative journalism

No comments: