15.10.08

All Aunty's Men

In writing this, I also refer any reader back to an earlier post where I articulate my relationship with the BBC.

It has some good bits about good folk*.

This, however, is not one. And while I feel for all the good folk, I have to say that if you don't deal with your masters soon, the whole edifice is in danger.

Interesting the gold-adorned (figuratively) Mr. T should come up...

BBC: Beeb bans champers

Gotta love some of the quotes:

'When we got the FoI request and added up the figures, we realised just how much we were spending and decided to stop that practice.'

I must try running my business on the basis of FoI requests submitted.

"In the current climate, it just doesn't feel right to spend licence payers' money on champagne. We had to take a view and ask ourselves whether we could defend this as a legitimate expense in the programme-making process and we decided we couldn't."

So... it doesn't 'feel' right, eh? At the moment, eh? And mainly it's whether we could get away with it, eh? Nice one, dudes.

'But some bills will be more difficult to cut as they are deemed essential for programme-making. ... £350,000 on bottled water**... "Things like that will be almost impossible to cut back on."

Hmnn. Harking back a few months, were they not running a 'planet ban-it froth and bother' on this issue?

As with almost all from the output of this entity I am forced to co-fund, to this...

'...we need to closely scrutinise everything we do to ensure that we are spending our public funds to the best effect."

... I fear my only thought is: 'best effect for whom?'.

I'm guessing, despite their favourite super-hero pay-dispener's (we still do the paying) vocal lead, that outrageous bonus cultures in this uniquely-funded entity will be a wee while longer in coming?

Simpson fears for the future of the BBC

"It may be better, but I somehow doubt it. What the hell do I care? I'll be 75 or something like that."

Bless.

Simpson was equally glum, reserving special vitriol for the men in grey suits... "I'll hate the so and so's – I hate them pretty much anyway, but I'll hate them even more."

Sounds a great place to work. I wonder if they fund dental?

Telegraph - BBC boss says Islam should be treated more sensitively than Christianity

'And in tonight's high-value quiz show use of licence fee-payers money, your whopping bonus question is...'

Order-Order - BBC Gets Ready to Celebrate Obama Victory

*Evening Standard - Outrage as BBC fatcats defy the credit crunch

** Ta to a fellow poster on a site I shared my thoughts upon for some contrary notions.

No comments: