11.10.08

Clinging to the wreckage

A good man in a crash. Now can he show how to mend it?

'A good man in a crash'?

It's all been said.

Suffice to say I would add my voice to those who would humbly disagree. And have cause to ponder why such views still seem to get such prominence, time and again, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, in certain over-influential print and broadcast media.

Such baffling prose could be argued to have value as baiting enough to generate enough interest to boost some numbers to keep a few advertisers hanging on, though one does have to wonder what happens longer term to the value of the Guardian brand. But that is for the private owners to decide and accept the consequences. I wish I could say the same for the BBC's role. When is the next interviewed booked for, by the way?

I am minded of a scene in the Magnificent 7, when the villagers are erring on hiring a much mutilated type to 'protect' them from further harm.

Wiser counsel prevails. 'You don't want HIM,' he says, 'you want the guy who did that TO him'.

Sadly, I agree. Because while I know who the sad punchbag is in this theatre of the absurd (and am astounded to see him still clinging on, being allowed to and even propped up again by those with some very odd agendas), I have yet to encounter the one who would shoulder the task successfully.

But for now I am only certain of one thing: the self-styled Emperor and his new clothes and media fundam... infirmament fashion supporters are dragging us into the abyss. He must go, and they should find more productive roles in society. We'll need 'em.

BBC - At least Gordon's smiling - unless he's insane, this has to be part of my theory that some are trying to effect change through incredulity undermining any support left.

No comments: