19.9.08

Who's laughing now?

Many, many years ago I was in competitive, if good-natured conversation with a friend who was a Master of the Universe in the City.

In response to a jibe about the value of my profession (with some truth as I look at the ASA rules - though ironically it's more failure in the regulatory system we all pay for) what I said in reply stays in my mind, especially now. Bear in mind that with some aspects I was exaggerating for effect/humour:

"So, let me get this straight. You organise deasl where our country's money is lent to guys like the Russian Mafia to build major capital projects for billions, for which you guys get millions in commission and bonusses. Then, when they don't build it and keep the money, we see nothing but yet you still get to keep the commissions and bonusses."

He laughed and assured me this was not the case. But I was unsure if his eyes joined in.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Just watching BBC News.

A MOTU is explaining how all this was/is not necessary as it is down to panic, using an analogy based on the Underground.

Apparently, 'we' need signs to show when the next train is coming, as they do in Finland, where he visits a lot.

Now, I don't visit London that much, but I'm guessing that he hasn't been down the tube that often here. I guess the interviewer hasn't either, was being polite... or 'that's all we had time for'.

Reassuring.