17.9.08

Poll stars

Who has been the UK's greatest post-war prime minister?

Maybe because I'm an ad man and copywriter, and know about ambiguity and the value of well-structured polls...

Just went to this one.

Couldn't fill it in meaningfully, so didn't. So despite caring (a bit) and trying, I don't count I guess.

A useful metaphor for our 'all or nothing, black or white, for or against us, box-ticker's wet dream' society.

I think I am fairly well informed, partly though interest in history; partly through experience.

I could have managed 3 'worst' and 3 'best', though without context (other than 'post-war' as a defining factor, I would still have preferred 'for what?'... economy, social justice, security, etc, as opposed to what I guess you mean, namely 'for the country').

But, without knowing about how polls work, I would have though you would still have derived meaningful data on this basis. Possibly better by the current requirement excluding such as me and including those who, I suspect, might make up a large central chunk of it all, the results of which I am sure will be anyway be chewed over with much furrowing of brows by the chatterati without meaning very much at all.

Oh, another metaphor!

No comments: