17.9.08

The very acme of 'when did you stop beating your wife' questions

Does capitalism still work?

Amen, brother. Here's another, like those I see in gadget mags:

'Could this be a question on par, smarts-wise, with a small box of rocks?'

I tend to steer clear of these discussions as I don't know much 'theory' and am one of those who likes to make and do rather than talk and, er, talk.

Plus I still have this odd notion of only spending what you have, and/or can afford. Silly, I know.

But I am not sure that this is contrary to the better aspects of capitalism, as I understand it/them.

What I would suggest that it seems to me that most, if not all the failures (or, 'not working') in this case were by a bunch of 'smart' folk, who were/are paid a mint and were not actually that smart and/or down right greedy or even crooked, who thereby messed up a system they had made over-complicated to profit from dealing in rather than making anything.

And were allowed to by pretty much the whole 'establishment' in theory paid to look after the interests of the majority of the people they represent and/or inform.

That would be government and most media, with many now closing, or calling for the closing of all manner of previously lucrative or vicariously irresistible doors once the horse has hopped into the Lear with some extra 'we must inject stability' wonga.

Thus leaving those without public sector or trust funds to pick up the tab, especially come retirement... again.

But maybe I have missed the subtleties.

'Jenkins, fire me up the expenses! I feel a jolly to New York to report on this is called for!'.

No comments: