25.5.08

Like, er, who cares?

I do believe I can see the whisper of a strategic thought from Nu Labour.

And it is capitalisingon either a mistake, or foolish tack by their opponents and the commentariat who wallow in endless discussions of style over substance (we'll come back to this).

There is now an eminently sensible attempt to point out that you don't have to 'like' a leader, as way too many critiques of Mr. Brown harp on his lack of mates, personality... etc.

I doubt I'd have been swapping anecdotes with Churchill down the boozer, and even in her heyday was more than grateful that Mrs. T was not in my front parlour but running the country. I sure as heck didn't/don't 'like' these political statespersons, but I surely respected them, and felt that my country was being run by them with its best interests at heart.

And there's the rub for this strategy. I may not like Mr. Brown or what he and his cabal of all the talents stand for, but I also have zero respect for them, and can only await with dread the next misguided idiocy that they come up with to run down this country still further.

Newsnight -

Addendum...

All that about 'image' said, there is also this bit of homely wisdom being spun in media such as the Guardian: "John Prescott, the former deputy prime minister, told the same programme that Brown should stand firm because he is a serious person. "I hear he doesn't smile. Well they used to talk about me not smiling: 'miserable beggar'. But I tell you what, when you get on an aeroplane, [do] you go and look in the cockpit, see if the pilot's smiling? Or you just hope there's a pilot there going to guide the plane, fly the plane and land successfully?"

Um... see where you're going, John. But actually I do a lot more than hope when it comes to enjoying a successful flight, and it's not too surprising that I may opt for another carrier (given the choice) if they are flying the friendly skies and greet you like they want your business. It also helps not to have crash landed on almost every flight.

Guardian - The country wants a leader with style and swagger

Indy - This is the chance to go down with all guns blazing

Go down? Taking whom with him?

Yet again, in that short, narrow line from Westminster to Fleet Street (with a detour to the coffee shops of Islington) it is all about the 'game' of staying in power, as opposed to serving the country.

I want a leader; not just a media star or a manager.

That said, given such a sorry choice I'd certainly have to opt against one who self-evidently can't even manage.

No comments: