18.6.08

At the sharp end

We are now pretty much in an era of process over result.

It matters not what actually happens or does not, merely there is an impression of some action.

I don't pretend to fully understand and certainly don't condone knife crime, but to me it seems all efforts need to be dedicated to the intent to or, good forbid, actual use of one.

Yet what do I see on my news just now? A bunch of reporters and highly paid 'experts' getting excited about a child of 14 buying a kitchen knife at a supermarket.

I fully agree that this is downright bizarre, but really cannot fathom how sorting this out will prevent a sharp-edged object getting into the hands of a person, even a young one, who intends to use it for more than cutting a loaf or eating a steak. And I am guessing Boy Scouts are exempt at camp?

The world is going to hell in a handcart, yet the politico-media establishment seem content to wallow in pointless symbolism.

No comments: