22.3.09

'I've done nothing wrong'

As readers may know, I am an avid archiver of 'interesting' phrases, especially from our political masters.

They are usually notable for the subtle twist in meanings often to be found, as here, to the extent of being 180 degrees the opposite of what is usually suggested by the term.

I think this one has to go in now.

I think what was/is meant is not 'nothing wrong', but 'nothing yet illegal'. There is a difference of course, which most appreciate, though others, evidently may not.

Newsnight
Newsnight
BBC - Nick Robinson

BBC - McNulty defends expenses claims - I am sure he does. Interesting way of headlining it. I wonder if other media will be so... forgiving, or offer so much balanced 'context' on other historical breaches?

BBC - Andrew Marr - I am an avid archiver of 'interesting' phrases, especially from our political masters. I think this one has to go in now: 'I've done nothing wrong'. What was/is meant is not 'nothing wrong', but 'nothing yet illegal'. There is a difference of course, which most appreciate, though others, evidently may not. However, having just watched Andrew interview one of our best banking regulation brains, 'I'l/(We'll) have to look into that,' runs a good second, especially when looking into stuff for the last decade hasn't been exactly been... thorough. Still, nice to know the PM 'likes everything'. All things to all people might seem sensible political populism, but perhaps not such great leadership.

ps: is this response feature no longer active? It seems not to be updated.

Telegraph - Tony McNulty claims £60,000 expenses on his parents' home

Order-Order - McNulty Should Pay Back His Fiddle

Guardian - Tony McNulty faces call for inquiry over £60,000 allowances - Nothing like an 'urge', combined with some 'discomfort', to really get the wheels moving. NOT.

Telegraph - Tony McNulty's expenses fiddle raises questions over ministerial position

No comments: