15.8.08

Two rights spin a wrong?

I can't best this comment on a blog about the new 'A level' figures, the government's interpretation of it, and the BBC's sharing of same:

'I finally got around to reading the BBC report on the miraculous increase in A grades, and I noticed a perfect bit of [legal reasons deletion] from Schools Minister Jim Knight:

"More pupils are now passing maths A-level than at any time in over a decade. It's crucial for society that we have talented mathematicians and maths is essential for science and innovation."

Both sentences are true, yet the latter does not follow from the former. But I have to admire the brilliance of it.'

As a potential employer in the real world, while the paperwork may say one thing I think I might now seek other proof of competency if presented with an A level cert. In fact a mate last night told me his C grades 20 years ago now would be A's.

So, what actually counts as a decent qualification? An A with a star and a cherry and sprinkles?

Gaurdian - A-levels: elitism for everyone

Gaurdian - Closing students' minds

No comments: