29.7.08

Stepping stones

Indy - * The editor of the BBC’s Newsnight programme has resigned his position to join Google as head of PR for the UK. Peter Barron has spent 12 years at the BBC2 programme, as well as time at Channel 4 and with Tonight with Trevor McDonald

Gaurdian - Newsnight editor Peter Barron to join Google in communications role

BBC - Newsnight editor moves to Google - Interesting to see how he goes into the commercial world as Google's head of PR for the UK, Ireland and Benelux, following a career straight into the BBC, using "...creativity and brilliant journalism...'.

I clashed with him a few times, especially on matters of the latter, and never did get adequate answers, even when having him dead to rights. Maybe the BBC's loss is Google's gain. But then, maybe Cuil have a chance as well, then.

Addendum: Eventually got an answer to my on site question from Paul Mason, who also answered my question on his odd phrasing in defence of reporting online vs. blogging.

I have replied:

Thanks for that. I see the topic was raised the day before by Midnight Pantsman but missed his reference as it had initially been referred to the moderators (why?), so I had no idea what his subsequent comment was about.

Nice to have confirmation here at last; these days it's hard to trust much of anything in the news unless it is direct from the horse's mouth.

As we have discussed elsewhere, blog gossip is often of less value than the energy used in the keystrokes.

How would one define such a move from news journalism to PR? Poacher turns gamekeeper? Or vice versa? Surely politics can only beckon more brightly now.

Well, as a kind of shareholder, and one with an interest in well-researched, objective reporting and editorial, I too will await with interest the next content visionary who will be appointed to fill Mr. Barron's shoes, and what he/or she will be doing to maintain the standards we have come to expect from one of the few national news programmes left that can often be relied upon to try and discuss matters that are newsworthy.

Brand Republic - Google v Cuil round two

Newsnight - Farewell

Have fun at Google.

I do. It gives me all sorts of varied options around topics on top of immediate answers.

And I trust them to be balanced and objective in how it all gets sourced, delivered and presented. At least to date. Unlike most sources.

How Cuil is that?

Gaurdian - NEW - Barron: why I'm leaving Newsnight... With friends like these?
Poacher turns gamekeeper? Or vice versa? Surely politics can only beckon more brightly now. Be a nice change (big theme here) to get someone from the BBC who did pop out of the cosy club for a wee while at least at try to survive in the real world. At least we know where the ad for the next 'content visionary' (I, for one, live to have the latest episode of our foremost political interviewers' undies aired asap) will be placed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you found the original Guardian story in the end... :)

This just appeared too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7529297.stm

Anonymous said...

Yes - let's wait and see who'll replace him.... and let's hope it's not one of the dumbing-downer-ever-downer club.

PS these were Monday's original NN blog entries that pointed towards the Guardian:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/fromthewebteam/2008/07/prospects_for_monday_28th_july.html#comment6
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/fromthewebteam/2008/07/prospects_for_monday_28th_july.html#comment13

Emma said...

Yes...Google was my friend.

For such a significant move I remain surprised it was not mentioned, or at least more obvious on the NN blog.

He was quite active there... when he chose to be.

Gamekeeper turned poacher, eh? I guess he has a Rollodex of movers and shakers to help the Google cause after his stint at the BBC. And as a brand it's on par with Aunty so he won't have to try too hard to move with those shakers again.

Or maybe just saw how the dumbing down of the news brand was going and got out while he could.

I'm afraid that the few times he and I had words I was not greatly impressed.

Emma said...

Oops... I'll be looking a bit silly.

I did see that post... but when it got moderated... so I had no idea what he was talking about and moved on. Didn't check back. Ironic.

Somehow an on site/in email job might have been appropriate, as we get responses, indeed entire topics created from other media talking about staff underwear and the like at the drop of a hat.

Funny also that my BBC search failed but Google worked.

Maybe he is going the right way.

I wonder if one can dumb down Google?

Anonymous said...

Yeeeees, that BBC search engine is a total mystery to me.... it's so useless it's almost funny.

Emma said...

Almost, but...

I wonder what it cost... us.