2.12.08

Conflicts of interest

A post about Ch4 being a bit 'pro-Govt', whilst also gunning for a hand-out, has inspired me to articulate some thoughts.

I would wish, but am not holding breath, that some in the news gathering and dissemination filed might give cause to ponder this.

Conflict of interest has always been an area of some sensitivity, and hence interest to me, since way back when and I ran my ad agency.

The merest hint, from a junior AE sharing accounts up to tenuous links between clients' holding groups clashing, was enough to either politely step back or, less politely, get booted.

Being funded (or having such funds doled out), even in a small manner (or to the tune of £3.5B) by those you are reporting upon, seems a pretty clear route - despite any claims to the contrary various 'professionals' may try to trumpet as to their their ability to perform objectively - to being hopelessly compromised in this regard from the off.

So a wee message from this private person, public-sector funding, public broadcast-weary fee payer... 'I don't trust you. And if I don't trust you, what you have to 'share' has no value. And if it has no value I should not have to pay for it.'

And that applies in whatever 'Westminster Useful Village Idiot' form it is attempted to be imposed, now and in the future.

No comments: